Everyone loves the security of a blanket (remember Linus from The Peanuts?). You can make your own security blanket without breaking out your sewing machine. Fleece comes in a variety of patterns and colors so these blankets make great gifts for babies, your favorite sports fan or someone who just needs a warm lap throw.
- 2 ½ yards of fleece in two different, but coordinating patterns
- Rotary Cutter
- Cut Mat
1. Lay out the fleece with the wrong sides (back of the fleece) touching and the correct sides (the colorful front side of the fleece) facing out.
2. Match up the corners and pin the sides to keep the materials together. This will help you keep the cuts you make match up.
3. Cut off the edges that don’t match up so the fleece is roughly the same size all around.
4. Cut a 6” x 6" square out of each of the four corners through both pieces of the fleece.
5. Using the markings that are on the cut mat and holding your ruler for a straight edge, use your rotary cutter to cut into the fleece 6” down at 1” intervals. This will create your fringe.
6. Once you’ve cut fringe out on all four sides, take one strand of fringe from the patterned fleece and one strand of fringe from the coordinating fleece and tie them into a knot. Be sure you tie the fringe in a double knot so that they don’t come undone. Tie knots around all four sides and enjoy!
You need to login