Mother’s Day will be here before you know it. Don’t let it sneak up on you - get started early and make your mom a fun glittered wine glass or coffee mug!
Glittered mugs and glasses make a great presentation but aren’t too hard to make. Since the sealant has to set before being used, it is best to make these at least 1 week prior to giving them away.
You might want to buy an extra glass or mug to practice on first. It took me a couple of tries to get the layering of the glue and the glitter down so it didn't look clumpy.
- Decide where you want the glitter to stop on your mug or glass. Tape that area off and be sure that the tape is pressed firmly on the bottom so no glue gets underneath. Tip: If you're using a wine glass, put some water in the glass up to where you want the glitter to stop and use that as your guide.
- Take a paper towel and moisten with the rubbing alcohol. Clean the area below the tape with the rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt or grease.
- Dip your pouncer into the Mod Podge Dishwasher Safe Gloss. Be sure that you purchase Dishwasher Safe and not regular Mod Podge since that version is water soluble. You need to use the Dishwasher Safe version so that when it is hand-washed it doesn't come off
- Take your pouncer and begin dabbing quickly at the base of the cup or glass. Work your way around moving quickly up to the top. If you are using a wine glass you might want to work in sections between dabbing the gloss and applying the glitter so the glue doesn't dry while you're working.
- Use some newspaper or a large box and hold the glass or mug over it. Then sprinkle the fine glitter over the Mod Podge working your way around. I held the mug over my hand and twisted it as I went. Completely cover the Mod Podge with glitter. You'll notice that the glitter doesn't appear solid. That's okay. Set aside to let it dry for about an hour.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make a more solid cover of glitter. Using the pouncer instead of a brush will help the glitter stay in place. Depending on your mug or glass, you might have to repeat these steps several times.
- Once you have applied your final glitter layer and it looks how you'd like, dip your pouncer in the Dishwasher Safe Gloss again and dap all over the glitter. This is your final sealant so don't apply any more glitter over the gloss. It will appear white but will dry clear. Set aside to dry.
- Remove the tape around the top of the glass.
- If you own a vinyl cutting machine such as a Silhouette or a Cricut, cut out a cute saying or an initial and apply.
- Let your gift cure for at least 1 week before you give it to your favorite mom. Even though the Mod Podge is called 'dishwasher safe' it is best to tell your gift recipient to hand wash it and to be sure to never let it soak in water as that will eventually remove the sealant.
You need to login