Hello, summer! Most of us celebrate the summer solstice for the warmer weather and long, sunny days it brings. But did you know the first day of summer is also celebrated as Daylight Appreciation Day?
In the northern hemisphere, the first day of summer is the longest day of the year in terms of hours of sunlight. We get more daylight on this day than any other day of the year. So, if we’re going to celebrate daylight, the summer solstice is the perfect time to do it.
Daylight Appreciation Day is here to remind us that natural daylight is healthy light that helps us live better and see healthier.
Why Appreciate Daylight?
Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people.”
Well, some may not be very interested in how the sun shines and lights our days. But here at OttLite, we’re extremely curious about it. Because we know natural daylight does a lot more than just allow us to spend more time outside enjoying summer nights.
1. It makes us happier. Nothing boosts your mood quite as well as some time spent soaking up the sun. And there’s a scientific reason why that’s so. When your eyes take in sunlight, it triggers your brain to release serotonin, a hormone known to improve your mood and help you feel calmer and more focused.
2. It makes us healthier. Sure, too much sun can cause skin damage and health issues. But too little sun isn’t good for you either. Just a few minutes in the healthy light of the sun will help your body to produce more vitamin D, which is vital for bone health. Low levels of vitamin D can lead to weak bones and increase your risk for a number of serious health conditions.
Exposure to sunlight also helps improve your sleep, promotes a healthy weight and can ease symptoms of skin conditions like eczema.
3. It makes us more productive. You know that serotonin released when you take in sunlight? It not only boosts your mood, it makes you feel more focused.
Unfortunately for many of us, working outside isn’t an option and office buildings are notorious for poor lighting. In fact, three out of four people experience eyestrain every day – often from inadequate lighting.
But don’t get discouraged! Those curious researchers and engineers at OttLite spent two years creating cutting-edge eyestrain-reducing lighting that comes as close to the natural spectral output of the sun as possible.
Proven to reduce eyestrain by up to 51 percent, the natural daylight lamps specially developed for the OttLite Wellness Series are the ultimate desk lamps to help you concentrate and be more productive.
How to Celebrate Daylight Appreciation Day
1. Get outside. For double the mood-boosting power, find some green space and take a walk. Sunlight and nature are a super combination that can lower your stress levels more than spending time outside in a city area.
2. Have a picnic. What could be better than a relaxing summer picnic? Try this Greek Tomato Salad recipe for a picnic-friendly dish that is great for your eye health, too. Tomatoes are rich in vision-protecting lycopene and vitamin C.
3. Soak up the sun. Sit back, relax and let the sunshine boost your mood. This is what those long summer nights were made for.
Want to keep the celebration going? Turn on your OttLite natural daylight lamp and let the power of daylight help you see healthier even when skies are gray.
Discover more reasons to appreciate natural lighting and how it benefits your eyes at seehealthier.com. For regular reminders and tips to help you see healthier and fight pesky eyestrain, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
You need to login